Thursday, June 13, 2013

Here we go again...

Many folks know we are in Europe for the next few weeks. In case you don't, this will be a quick post from Galway, Ireland. This is a beauutiful and very interesting city. It is somewhat touristy - there are ruins that go back to the 11th century; one old wall has a shopping center built around it with no word of explaination of the history. Lots of shops, bistros, etc. But much beneath the surface. Many old buildings, real sense of history. A lovely river and several canals pass through town. I would like to do a birding walk; so far, we have figured out black headed gulls, swans, swallows; there are many others, including some lovely singers. The canal walks are dominated by a huge, green domed cathedral. Last night we heard a string orchestra from Michigan that played Irish jigs, a spiritual, Ramones type rock and roll, jazz, etc. Amazing! I am quickly in love with Ireland after a day here, we are pretty sure my grandmother Karl came from here (her life is something of a mystery). Part of me says "I wanna come home!" We'd be reasonably close to Germany, my other country of origin. But there are more than a few dark sides. I picked up a book of Irish history, which I know is bitter today, and Kate got one on the impact of the recession and austerity on Ireland. You will see references. I can see spending extended time in Galway someday; I have to stop because we need to catch a bus up the coast to West Port soon. Much more to come!

No comments: