Friday, June 21, 2013

Roma!!

We are fine, all - Gmail blocked our access from Italy for a day, hopefully I have cleared that up. Rome is energetic, passionate, fascinating, crowded and HOT!!! It was in the 90s yesterday, and probably will be today. Rick Steves says 2 days of Rome is great for your first visit - that is what we get on this trip. It is chaotic, but quite interesting.

Yesteray we visited the Vatican Museums. Astonishing. Whatever your beliefs and feelings, these places are a must see. The collection of ancient Roman art alone makes this visit worthwhile. Some of the huge murals and tapestries of Biblical stories and Church history are amazing. I am struck by the color and detail, the enourmous number of people, definetly individuals in each painting. The energy depicted is amazing. I am no art historian, but this reminded me of some of the detailed paintings we once saw in Nepal and Japan. It seems to me that the Renaissance masters knew about Asian art, but I do need to check on this. I know there was a big emphasis on humanism, presenting each person as an individual and focusing on human interactions.

The Sistine Chapel is overwhelming!! Again, this is a MUST SEE when you are in Rome. My dad, who was an art and history enthusiast but not a believer, always told me I had to see it, and I felt like he was with us. It is a fascinating depiction of the Catholic world view circa 1500. The famous panels of the creation of the world, the creation of Adam, and the expulsion from the Garden are at the center of the vaulted ceiling. Other parts of the chapel have biblical scenes, and there are portraits of popes. Michelangelo was comissioned to paint this during the Reformation as a statement of papal authority, opposing Martin Luther's ideas. There is one scene where Moses and Aaron are confronting rebelluous Israelites, and Aaron is wearing a papal miter (tall hat), meaning that papal authority has existed since ancient times. There is n altar at the front of the chapal; behind that, there is a huge and practically surreal mural showing the Final Judgement. The colors and energy are astonishing... again, see it, whatever your beliefs.

Pissa is fabulous in Rome. The crust is thin and delicate, and the sauce is different from in the States, although I can't really explain how. The gelato is also fabulous - I don't really know which flavors we had, but they were wonderful. We'll have more. And yes, people here are as dramatic as you'd think!

Today we do the Caesar Shuffle - Coliseum and other old ruins. Tomorrow we are off to Florence, I will check in from there in the evenng if Gmail doesn't block me. Ciao!

1 comment:

Timo Kyttä said...

Nice to hear of familiar places! And if you happen to see two Finns named Pirjo & Seppo in Florence area say hi from us (they arrived there today). :-)