Friday, July 29, 2011

Chesepeake Bay and Vermont

WE really liked Brattleboro, Vt. An eclectic town of farmers, writers, artists, eccentrics with a greata Jamaican vegan restaurant and a great progressive book store. Many buildings are brick; I think this used to be an industrial town. Also a great coffee shop (Moch Joe's), an art gallery with a patio/garden facing the Connecticut River, a guy with a hot dog cart who sells veggie hot dogs and Sam Adam's beer (my favorite. I only had one, I was good.) The Connecticut Riger flows through town. You cross it via two bridges, and you're in New Hapmshire. We did two great hikes through a forest of maples, hemlocks and more. We also saw a moose that had been startled by a dog.

We're now with our friends Marcus and Betty at their cabin near Chesepeake Bay. Very interesting area, we've been here since yesterday evening. It is hot, in a FRENZIED way; we did a short bike ride and then spent most of the late morning neck deep in the creek that runs past their place. Heavenly!

We don't have easy Internet access, I am writing from a library. We'll be back in Baltimore Monday evening (I think, this is Friday, right?) I'll post then if it is feasible; we catch a train the next day, so maybe Tuesday or so for a post. I'll say more about Chesepeake then.

You West Coaasters... be grateful for cool weather!

1 comment:

rhonda said...

Hi Paul! This morning it is cool and windy with lots of clouds in the sky. I hear there are thunderstorms predicted, but will believe it when I see it. :)

Your trip sounds awesome - except for the heat. We have had some high 90s and it is supposed to last through the first part of the week. The nice part of working summer camps is I can take a break after and see some of these places you are talking about - in the fall. :) Cooler weather for me!

I love New England and really want to visit. Your descriptions have me planning national park tours that way. Acadia is one that is on my list, and it is moving up. :)

Lindsay is fine. The Amazing Animal Bodies camp was great. The campers were lots of fun and had lots of fun too. The counselors seem really great this year - Kyle was here, but had to drop the second camp. :) Melissa is in the next camp...nothing is perfect. :) I am really looking forward to Science Quest and will see how to adapt it to grant camp during the holidays. RAFT kits for science are a blessing! :)

Happy travels and enjoy your time. See you soon. R