Friday, January 7, 2011

We're baaackkk....

We got home at 11 PM last night. Both of us feel pretty exhausted today, and man is COLD HERE!!!

This isn't my final post, but I'll start some wrapping up comments. The Yucatan is wonderful. It's beautiful, full of ancient ruins and great museums that reflect on the history and art of the
region. I highly recommend it!

The people are relaxed and very friendly - you don't get the tense feeling that is present in other, also fascinating parts of Mexico. The feeling on the streets reminded us more of mellow, relaxing Costa Rica. This is something of a mystery. The region does have a tumultuous history'
There were many conflicts between the Mayas and the Spanish in the 1500s and on. There were also conflicts between the Maya and Mexicans with strong Spanish backgrounds after Mexico became independant. Tension raged in the early 20th century as well. We are not sure of what happened between that period and present times, except that there was a very disruptive hurricane 20 uears ago.

There is poverty, to be sure, especially in Merida where you do see lots of beggars. There are some in the other communities, but they seem more affluent somehow. I am not sure of what the economic base is in those towns. And Merida is also pretty calm. You aren't hit in the face by po;itical conflicts the way you are in other parts of Mexico. We do wonder if the Zapatista upreasing, which was based in nearby Chiapas state about 16 years ago had any impact here. There are no signs of it now.

So - a mystery, and a pretty mellow couple of weeks on the whole. If I find out anything about this issue, I will post.

For now, I am going to make a big pot of soup, and we can kick back for the evening.
Have a great weekend, and I will post a few more pix fairly soon.

1 comment:

rhonda said...

Welcome home Paul and Kate! I made a big pot of bean soup today, and used tap water. I had read that using bottled water gives you nice and soft beans (like my Mom made) and our water is so hard the beans get done but not soft. Another boo hoo! and oh well too! :)

I liked your wrap-up because I hear Rick Bayliss saying things about the beautiful and tasty Yucatan. I think we should check it out too. Your travels were so interesting and calm. I am also pleased to hear that there is more coming! :) Talk with you soon. R