Tuesday, January 4, 2011

sad to leave

At first Isle Mujeres seemed commercial, crowded and unoleasant. We`ve discovered that it has its own charm and beauty, though you have to dig through the tourist trap scene to find it. Island cnaracters abound. And there is a lot of wonder in unexpected places. It will be sad to leave.

But today we went snorkling. It was unbelievable - I still close my eyes almost three hours after the adventure ended and see blue, yellow, white and striped fish, to name a few swimming past my face. I´ve read that fish do have calls, but I think they are at a lower frequency than humans can hear. To me, the silence was uncanny. It has been strange to readjust to walking. I keep feeling like I will have so swim to my next destination. it is really weird to be sitting in a chair without drifting away!

And what do these beautiful little creatures think about the strange primates with duck feet (flippers) splashing around in their world? it would make a good story if there were fish tour companies that brought them to watch our anctics. The sky matters little here; what are the stars when you can´t see them? The ocean is where life on earth started out; it is a surreal kind of homecoming to return here!

We take the ferry back to Cancun tomorrow. We fly out of there on Friday, Neither of us is ready to stop rambling; watch this space and I´ll lt you know when there will be further adventures. I will post from home in Oakland on Friday if not before.

1 comment:

rhonda said...

Paul, I am not sure if the email went through or not. Just want you to know that I am thoroughly enjoying your blog and travels! Makes me want to check out Mexico and see the back-country. :)

Life in these United States is fine - the same old, same old. :) Will be happy to see you back and hear more about the adventures. Have a wonderful last few days. R